Friday, January 21, 2011

Friday, and 80 children

Today was the last clinic day for the first week. I think it gets harder to write as the magnitude of the need here sinks in. The patients today were from a nearby orphanage, I believe called Cherish. In total eighty kids came through today, most from Cherish. Little ones. We were told the kids would have fairly good dental hygiene. Even so, I know there were some tough cases. The kids were so polite and good. We take a picture of each child, print, put in a little frame and give them out to each child before they leave. They light up over the smallest kindnesses. Sometimes I get a little curtsy after maybe giving a sticker, and always a "thank you". I have been doing printing after the pics are done. After that, I try to be useful, but have found a favorite activity of painting many little fingernails with polish. During lunch the little girl here in the red dress wandered back into the clinic, she had been seen earlier and was indicating something was wrong. We got an interpreter to help. She was trying to tell that she was 'paining'. It turned out that she needed some follow up care. Later on I was going to read a book to her, she took the book from me and said in perfect English "I can read it". And she proceeded to read the book to me with great expression in English !! We were reading that damn book by Dr Suess 'Are you my Mother?'. I really cannot explain the emotions I felt as she read to me the book of a child searching for her Mother.










Tomorrow at six am some of us leave for Western Uganda, and a Safari. Part of the group will be going Gorilla trekking.

All for now~~ C

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing experience thus far. How gratifying to be part of these kids' lives, even if only for a short time.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete